Gaga is a fast paced, high energy sport played in an octagonal pit. The more players the better! Dubbed a kinder gentler version of dodge ball, the game is played with a soft foam ball, and combines the skills of dodging, striking, running, and jumping, while trying to hit opponents with a ball below the waist. Players need to keep moving to avoid getting hit by the ball. Fun and easy, everyone gets a serious workout. Easily addictive, people can’t wait to get back in the pit.
Rules of Gaga Ball It’s super simple. Basically, we throw a bunch of players and a ball in a pit. Turn up the music, everyone for him/herself; if the ball touches you below the waist, you’re out. The last one in the pit wins. Then, everyone hops back in for the next round.
- All players start with one hand touching a wall of the pit.
- The game begins with a referee throwing the ball into the center of the pit. When the ball enters the pit, the players scream ‘GA’ for the first two bounces, and ‘GO’ on the third bounce, after which the ball is in action.
- Once the ball is in play, any player can hit the ball with an open or closed hand. If a ball touches a player below the waist (even if the player hits himself or herself) he or she is out and leaves the pit.
- If a player is hit above the waist, the play continues.
- If a ball is caught on a fly, the player who hit the ball is out.
- Using the walls of the octagon to aid in jumping is legal as long as the player does not permanently sit on the ledge of the octagon.
- Players cannot hold the ball.
- If needed, a second ball can be thrown in the pit to expedite the end of the game. The last player standing is the winner of that round.